Battle By The Beach
The Battle by the Beach is part of The US Lacrosse Sanctioning Program, which provides best practices for tournament operators in order to create a more safe and consistent event. Through the adoption of the Sanctioned Tournament Standards, tournaments commit to providing the best possible lacrosse experience.
June 20-21, 2020
ORANGE COUNTY GREAT PARK
8000 Great Park BLVD
Irvine, CA 92618
The premier location for sporting events in Southern California. The Orange county great park, located on a section of the former marine Corps Air Station, El Toro, continues its evolution across approximately 1,300 acres as it attracts visitors to its ongoing amenities. The city of Irvine owned Great Park is an arts and sports recreational hub.
Other than specified here, 2019 NFHS Rules will apply.
• 2 – 24 minutes halves
• 3-minute half time
• One – 30 second timeout per team for all games
• Table personnel will keep penalty time. Referees will keep game time.
• All games must start on time
• End of Regulation Tie - 3 Minute Overtime.
• . Game ends in a tie if no one scores in the overtime period.
BOYS – NFHS Rules Apply
• No stick checks unless refs think a stick is outrageously illegal
• 4 poles maximum on the field
• No mercy rule.
• 20 second to clear half field
• There is NO 10 second count to get the ball into the offensive box until the last 2 minutes
• Last two minutes of the game, the team in the lead must clear the ball in 20 seconds, get the ball into the box in 10 seconds, and then keep the ball in the box
• NFHS Rules Apply – one handed checks are allowed but must not be a slash.
• 45 second technical foul
• 90 second personal foul
• Penalty time starts on the restart of the whistle
• In home can serve a goalie penalty if no second goalie is available
• Last 2 minutes of game the winning team must keep it in the box
GIRLS – 2020 US Lacrosse Rules
• Full checking at all levels 14U and above
• 2 yellow cards for 1 player – player out remainder of game but may play the next game
• Red card for 1 player – player out remainder of that game. Officials & Tournament Director will determine if the player will be allowed to play any remaining games.
• If a team accumulates 4 or more cards in a game they do NOT have to play a player down the remainder of the game.
• If horn sounds at the end of time and a free position is being awarded in the critical scoring area – the game will continue until the scoring play is over.
• Please refer to your USL Youth Rulebook for specific rules on your age division
• Game ejections are handled by the referees
• Tournament ejections are handled by the Tournament Director
Tie Breakers for Seeding:
- Head to Head
- Goal Differential
- Goals Scored
- Goals Against
- Coin Toss
The top two teams in each bracket will play in the Championship Game.
LIMITED BODY CHECKING - NO BLATANT HITS - NO TAKE-OUT CHECKS!
Big hits and overly physical play (even within 5 yards from a loose ball), as well as excessive force, roughness, checking or hitting off the ball, constitutes unnecessary roughness and will result in a penalty. The Tournament Directors expect tournament officials to “err” on the side of safety. All coaches involved with the teams in the tournament are expected to understand and support the philosophy with regard to officiating and the promotion of player safety. This is an off-season tournament and there is no reason for injury.
Obscene language: Minimum of two minutes. The penalty time is non-releasable.
All balls will be provided by the tournament and will be placed on the end lines to start of every game. The scorekeeper will have the responsibility for placing the balls on the end lines to start each game.
KEEPING / REPORTING SCORES
Officials are responsible to keep score on the field and to confirm scores with the scorekeepers at the end the game. Each game will be tracked by the game score card which the field volunteer will have at each game. Please be sure to sign these game cards so the field volunteer can report the score of your game. Following each game, the scorekeeper will update scores on Tourney Machine and provide game scores to the official score tent.
SPORTSMANSHIP / CONDUCT
Poor sportsmanship, taunting, trash talking, fighting, or any other unbecoming behavior on the part of the players, coaches, parents, or fans will not be tolerated. All persons involved with the War on the Shore and visiting the facility are expected to “Honor the Game”. Bad language will not be tolerated. Please treat the officials, opponents, spectators, and tournament staff with the same respect you would like to be shown.
The Battle by the Beach Directors expect the officials, coaches and player to conduct themselves in accordance with the rules.
Register by January 31st - $250 off
Register by March 31st - $200 off
Boys - $1,750
HS AAA (Top Varsity)
HS AA (Open)
HS A (JV - no seniors)
Girls - $1,250
High School Open (2021, 2022, 2023)
Free Agent Option - $150
Will be placed on a team the week prior to the tournament.
To Enter a Team, Please Contact:
Johnny Rodriguez - firstname.lastname@example.org
For Event/Registration Questions, Please Contact:
Christie Cole -
Tournament Map: Tournament Trainer:
Hilton Garden Inn Irvine/Orange County Airport
2381 Morse Avenue
Irvine, California 92614
Minutes from Orange County/John Wayne Airport
Complimentary airport shuttle service
Fitness center and indoor swimming pool with open-air access
2500 sq. ft. flexible meeting space, including a ballroom
Garden Grille & Lounge, and evening room service